Simple Plumbing Maintenance That Homeowners Should Do on a Regular Basis
Your plumbing system makes up about 15% of your home’s total value. Most people don’t think about that and give little consideration to their plumbing at all until a costly problem arises. A smoothly operating plumbing system enables you to have clean, fresh and warm water to keep your home and family clean.
As a homeowner, you want to protect your investment, which means performing essential plumbing maintenance on a regular basis. An easy way to do this is make a checklist for performing inspections and do them on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis. Doing so will save you buckets of money in the long run. When you do find a problem, most likely it will be in its early stages. Call the plumbing professionals at Intagas in Brisbane for a prompt response.
Following are some recommended plumbing maintenance tasks that will keep your system running efficiently:
- Drain off a pan full of water from the clean-out valve at the bottom of your water heater tank. This easy task should be performed annually to remove sediment maintain efficiency and extend the life of your water heater
- Check your sump pump several times a year for any issues. A non-working sump pump can prove disastrous during heavy rains
- Look monthly for leaks. Plumbing leaks not only affect your pipes and water pressure, they can also cause damage to your home when they go undetected. Leaks can lead to wood rot, mold growth and pipe corrosion. Repairing the long-term damage cause by a small leak is costly and an even bigger headache due to the inconvenience it will cause
- Similarly, check all faucets for dripping water and change the washers when needed
- Avoid toilet clogs by not using it as a rubbish bin. Ideally, only human waste and toilet paper should be flushed
- Test all sink and shower drains for speed of drainage. If bubbles appear while water drains, it’s generally a sign of a slow drain. All drains should have a full swirl while the water goes down. Use an enzyme-based drain cleaner or a mixture of vinegar and baking soda to open up pipes instead of chemical cleaners, which can damage pipes. Don’t let clogs linger as they can damage your pipes and shorten the life of your plumbing
The best way to avoid plumbing problems, keep costs down and conserve water for future generations is to make sure your plumbing system is working properly. Always deal with problems as soon as you find them.
In this article, you’ll find a plumbing maintenance checklist that includes daily tips, weekly inspections and maintenance for each season. By following this checklist, you can save on energy costs, conserve water and keep your home plumbing system running properly.
Daily Maintenance Tips
What you do daily can affect your plumbing. Daily maintenance includes preventing clogs, which are one of the most common plumbing issues homeowners face.
Why worry about clogged drains? Clogs are not only nuisances, they also shorten the lifespan of your waste pipes by adding extra pressure and added stress. Even a slow drain can cause problems, so it’s best to get a clog cleared before it becomes a complete blockage. Better yet, prevent blockages in the first place.
You use your home plumbing daily, so you need to care for it daily. But how? You can do so by following a few simple plumbing maintenance tips to keep your water moving through your pipes and waste exiting your home. The bathroom and kitchen are the two rooms in your home that supply the most water and are at the highest risk of developing plumbing issues.
In the Kitchen
Kitchen drains often clog due to debris or wastes going down the sink that shouldn’t. To prevent clogged drains in this room, never put grease or oils down the sink. This includes cooking oils and fats, such as butter, that can congeal in the pipes, blocking water flow.
Improper use of the garbage disposal is another common reason for clogged kitchen drains. Follow this kitchen plumbing maintenance checklist to help you avoid this problem:
- Always turn your water and disposal on before adding food.
- Never put fibrous or stringy food wastes down the disposal. These include banana peels, celery, potato peels, and other foods that are difficult to grind up.
- Always allow the cold water to run for at least 15 seconds after using the disposal. This ensures food wastes are flushed down the main line.
- Run your dishwasher at night to conserve hot water and maintain good water pressure throughout the day.
In the Bathroom
The bathroom is another room where drains often become clogged. You can reduce clogs and even prevent them by following this plumbing maintenance checklist:
- Keep shower and sink drains flowing freely by reducing your use of bath oils and installing screens over drains to prevent hair from going down the drain.
- Avoid toilet clogs by not using it as a trash can. Ideally, only human waste and toilet paper should be flushed. While tampons and some wipes are labeled as flushable, it is better not to do so.
- Wait about 10 minutes between showers to help maintain proper water pressure and hot water throughout the day. Maintaining proper water pressure helps prevent unwanted stress on your home plumbing system.
- Avoid using chemical clog removal products that can cause more harm than good. These products can corrode your pipes!
Think of all the products you use to wash, moisturize and condition. They are often oily or greasy in order to provide moisture for your skin and hair. Once they make their way down your drain, however, they can cling to pipes, attract other debris and cause blockages.
Checking on your pipes once a week is great idea for all homeowners. This is good way to prevent small problems from becoming huge, costly ones. Some weekly plumbing maintenance includes
- Check for leaks. Look under the sinks for signs of moisture, such as puddles of water, water marks, a musty smell and mold growth.
- Test all sink and shower drains for speed or drainage. If bubbles appear while water drains, it is usually a sign of a slow drain. All drains should have a full swirl while the water goes down.
- Turn on each water faucet in your home — water shouldn’t be coming out of the handles or valves.
- Clean your lint traps on your washing machine.
- Domestic & commercial gas hot water system
Installation, Service, Maintenance & Repair
- Gas hot water system check up available
Recommended before the winter demand
- Gas appliance installations & repair
Cooktops, Upright cookers, Ovens, BBQs, Heaters
- Gas leaks—fast response
Testing & repairs
- Gas conversions
Natural & LPG
- Gas lines
New installations or upgrade of existing lines
- Gas compliance certificates & plates
- Pre-winter service for portable room heaters
Pick up & drop off service available. Conditions Apply — no parts included
- Temporary gas HWS available for hire
Conditions Apply—must use current location of existing system
- Domestic plumbing installation & repair
Toilets, Taps/Mixers, Shower heads
- Electric hot water system installation & removal
New laws apply
- Electric hot water system check up available
To check if your hot water system meets current Australian standards
- New cold/hot water line installation
- Upgrade of old existing water lines
Air Conditioning Services
- Installation of split system air conditioners
Up to 18kw
- Basic clean service available
Local Suburbs Serviced:
Bowen Hills, Brisbane, East Brisbane, Fortitude Valley, Herston, Highgate Hill, Kangaroo Point, Kelvin Grove, New Farm, Newstead, Paddington, Petrie Terrace, Red Hill, South Brisbane, Spring Hill, Teneriffe, West End, Woolloongabba, Acacia Ridge, Algester, Annerley, Archerfield, Burbank, Calamvale, Coopers Plains, Darra, Doolandella, Drewvale, Durack, Dutton Park, Eight Mile Plains, Ellen Grove, Fairfield, Forest Lake, Greenslopes, Heathwood, Holland Park, Holland Park West, Inala, Karawatha, Kuraby, Larapinta, Macgregor, Mackenzie, Mansfield, Moorooka, Mount Gravatt, Mount Gravatt East, Nathan, Norman Park, Pallara, Parkinson, Richlands, Robertson, Rochedale, Rocklea, Runcorn, Salisbury, Seventeen Mile Rocks, Sinnamon Park, Stretton, Sumner, Sunnybank, Sunnybank Hills, Tarragindi, Tennyson, Upper Mount Gravatt, Wacol, Willawong, Wishart, Yeerongpilly, Yeronga, Bahrs Scrub, Bannockburn, Beenleigh, Belivah, Berrinba, Bethania, Boronia Heights, Browns Plains, Buccan, Carbrook, Cedar Creek, Cedar Grove, Cedar Vale, Chambers Flat, Cornubia, Crestmead, Daisy Hill, Eagleby, Edens Landing, Forestdale, Greenbank, Heritage Park, Hillcrest, Holmview, Jimboomba, Kagaru, Kingston, Logan Central, Logan Reserve, Logan Village, Loganholme, Loganlea, Lyons, Marsden, Meadowbrook, Mount Warren Park, Mundoolun, Munruben, New Beith, North Maclean, Park Ridge South, Park Ridge, Priestdale, Regents Park, Rochedale South, Shailer Park, Slacks Creek, South Maclean, Springwood, Stockleigh, Tamborine, Tanah Merah, Underwood, Undullah, Veresdale Scrub, Veresdale, Waterford West, Waterford, Windaroo, Wolffdene, Woodhill, Woodridge, Yarrabilba, Redcliffe, Clontarf, Deception Bay, Kippa-Ring, Margate, Newport, Rothwell, Scarborough, Woody Point, Albany Creek, Arana Hills, Bray Park, Brendale, Eatons Hill, Everton Hills, Ferny Hills, Griffin, Kallangur, Lawnton, Mango Hill, Murrumba Downs, North Lakes, Petrie, Strathpine, Warner