Preventing Waste Disposal Clogs
Depending on your perspective, a clogged waste disposal unit in your kitchen sink can be an inconvenience or a disaster. If you’re having a dinner party and preparing food when the disposer clogs, it’s definitely stressful. If your disposer becomes clogged you can often remedy the situation yourself. Here are some common reasons why your waste disposal unit may not be operating properly.
Causes of a Waste Disposal Clog
Most homeowners take their disposal for granted. It will have no problem grinding most food waste, but what happens after the grinding can cause a clog. The reason lies in how that waste reacts to water or lack of it when the waste travels on its way toward the drain line. Clogs are often found in the trap pipe located on the waste discharge side of the disposal.
The most common causes of clogs are:
- Lack of flushing water, which prevents waste from moving through pipes
- Grinding eggshells or coffee grounds, which create granular waste that sticks to sludge in the pipe
- Grinding potato peels forms a starchy paste that results in quick clogs
- Grinding banana peels is similar to potato peels with the addition of stringy fibers into the mix
Prevention is simple. Whenever you do grind food waste, make sure you run plenty of water before, during and after the waste goes down the drain. Occasionally maintain your disposal by regularly grinding up pieces of lemon peel and ice cubes
Other Common Problems
Disposals are also subject to other common problems. They can jam up when objects bind the impeller blades inside the appliance. This situation can happen when you try to process too much waste at once. Less commonly, the drain connecting the disposer to the rest of the sink’s drain trap assembly can become clogged and cause water to back up into the sink basin where the disposer is installed. When only the disposer basin in a double-basin sink backs up, it’s likely that the drain fitting on the disposer has clogged.
If Your Disposal Won’t Work
Try these steps before calling Intagas for service:
- Turn off the electrical power switch that supplies the disposer. Don’t do anything until it is turned off.
- Get a flashlight and look in the disposal to see if something has become jammed.
- If something is jammed get pliers and reach in carefully to remove it
- Before turning the power on and hitting the reset button, wait for the motor to cool.
In the event that you can’t find the problem, your Intagas plumber will provide you with fast service no matter where you live in the Brisbane area.
- Domestic & commercial gas hot water system
Installation, Service, Maintenance & Repair
- Gas hot water system check up available
Recommended before the winter demand
- Gas appliance installations & repair
Cooktops, Upright cookers, Ovens, BBQs, Heaters
- Gas leaks—fast response
Testing & repairs
- Gas conversions
Natural & LPG
- Gas lines
New installations or upgrade of existing lines
- Gas compliance certificates & plates
- Pre-winter service for portable room heaters
Pick up & drop off service available. Conditions Apply — no parts included
- Temporary gas HWS available for hire
Conditions Apply—must use current location of existing system
- Domestic plumbing installation & repair
Toilets, Taps/Mixers, Shower heads
- Electric hot water system installation & removal
New laws apply
- Electric hot water system check up available
To check if your hot water system meets current Australian standards
- New cold/hot water line installation
- Upgrade of old existing water lines
Air Conditioning Services
- Installation of split system air conditioners
Up to 18kw
- Basic clean service available
Local Suburbs Serviced:
Bowen Hills, Brisbane, East Brisbane, Fortitude Valley, Herston, Highgate Hill, Kangaroo Point, Kelvin Grove, New Farm, Newstead, Paddington, Petrie Terrace, Red Hill, South Brisbane, Spring Hill, Teneriffe, West End, Woolloongabba, Acacia Ridge, Algester, Annerley, Archerfield, Burbank, Calamvale, Coopers Plains, Darra, Doolandella, Drewvale, Durack, Dutton Park, Eight Mile Plains, Ellen Grove, Fairfield, Forest Lake, Greenslopes, Heathwood, Holland Park, Holland Park West, Inala, Karawatha, Kuraby, Larapinta, Macgregor, Mackenzie, Mansfield, Moorooka, Mount Gravatt, Mount Gravatt East, Nathan, Norman Park, Pallara, Parkinson, Richlands, Robertson, Rochedale, Rocklea, Runcorn, Salisbury, Seventeen Mile Rocks, Sinnamon Park, Stretton, Sumner, Sunnybank, Sunnybank Hills, Tarragindi, Tennyson, Upper Mount Gravatt, Wacol, Willawong, Wishart, Yeerongpilly, Yeronga, Bahrs Scrub, Bannockburn, Beenleigh, Belivah, Berrinba, Bethania, Boronia Heights, Browns Plains, Buccan, Carbrook, Cedar Creek, Cedar Grove, Cedar Vale, Chambers Flat, Cornubia, Crestmead, Daisy Hill, Eagleby, Edens Landing, Forestdale, Greenbank, Heritage Park, Hillcrest, Holmview, Jimboomba, Kagaru, Kingston, Logan Central, Logan Reserve, Logan Village, Loganholme, Loganlea, Lyons, Marsden, Meadowbrook, Mount Warren Park, Mundoolun, Munruben, New Beith, North Maclean, Park Ridge South, Park Ridge, Priestdale, Regents Park, Rochedale South, Shailer Park, Slacks Creek, South Maclean, Springwood, Stockleigh, Tamborine, Tanah Merah, Underwood, Undullah, Veresdale Scrub, Veresdale, Waterford West, Waterford, Windaroo, Wolffdene, Woodhill, Woodridge, Yarrabilba, Redcliffe, Clontarf, Deception Bay, Kippa-Ring, Margate, Newport, Rothwell, Scarborough, Woody Point, Albany Creek, Arana Hills, Bray Park, Brendale, Eatons Hill, Everton Hills, Ferny Hills, Griffin, Kallangur, Lawnton, Mango Hill, Murrumba Downs, North Lakes, Petrie, Strathpine, Warner