How to Fix Common Plumbing Issues in Brisbane | DIY Plumbing
How many times have you tried to fix plumbing issues by yourself?
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t and other times it sort of / kind of works, maybe.
So you end up calling the professionals to do a proper job. Most of the plumbing problems in your home and office should be fixed by experienced and certified plumbers. However, there are times when you can deal with few of these common plumbing issues and fix them. It will not only save you money but saves time as well.
And what are they?
5 DIY plumbing tasks you can handle
Fixing Leaky Taps
Leaky taps are super annoying!
Usually taps start to leak when its washer is either damaged or worn out. Solution? In both cases, you need to change the washer to stop any further leakage. Simply get a new washer from a local hardware store near you. Here’s what you do:-
Note: Before any DIY plumbing project, turn off the water supply to your home.
- Next is to unscrew and remove the handle of the tap. You can find the screws on the sides or at the top of the tap.
- Then remove the plastic insert with the help of a cloth and a wrench.
- You will need to detach the brass valve placed in the tap.
- Now it’s to replace the washer. Take out the nut holding the old washer. Remove both (nut and old washer). Place the new washer and tighten the nut again.
- Place the rest of the tap. Now its time to test it. Turn on the water supply. The job should be done and no more leaky tap.
Fixing a Running Toilet
Another common plumbing issue caused by wear and tear is the running toilet. This is also a less costly DIY plumbing task. The problem here is usually caused by a loose flapper that is an improper sealing of the flush valve seal (flapper) inside the tank. When the flapper isn’t tightly sealed, water starts to drip out that leads to opening of the water valve which results in the tank being filled again.
- To start with, turn off the water to the toilet. Turn off the valve on the pipe behind the toilet bowl.
- Check the water tank to see whether the chain is either broken or needs to be placed correctly.
- If everything is ok with the chain, check the arm keeping it up. In case the flapper is not working, take it out and go to a hardware store with it to find an exact copy for replacement.
Fixing a Blocked Toilet
Now this problem is very irritating.
- Always keep a plunger on standby. You never know when a toilet will become blocked.
- If the toilet is blocked, use the plunger when the water level resides to its minimum. When you plunge the toilet, be careful how you flush. Use the plunger till the blockage clears out.
Note: Before you start with the plunger, place rags around the toilet to mop up the mess is there is an overflow.
Fixing a clogged drain.
This is another common plumbing problem people face. It’s an easy fix if you do it early.
How to fix a clogged drain?
- You can either use drain clearing chemicals or unclog it the natural way.
- In both cases, first clear out the noticeable mess clogging the drain.
- When using chemicals, pour it down the drain adhering to the instructions on the container.
- And in the natural method, start with pouring some baking soda in the drain, then vinegar and finally boiling water.
The clogged drain should open up after applying one of these methods. In case the drain is still blocked because of a foreign object, then you need professional help.
Replacing the Shower Head
Plumbing services are a busy group of people, so a task like replacing a shower head is one you can do yourself. But if you doubt your handy work, you can always call in an experienced plumbing service in Brisbane to do the job.
- Start with removing the old shower head. Use an adjustable wrench or pliers to unscrew the arm of the shower head if required.
- When you are placing the new shower head, one thing you can do to prevent any leakage and have a tight fit on the pipes is to cover the new shower head arm with plumber’s tape.
- Finally to keep it in place, tightly screw it on the wall.
We hope these DIY plumbing tips on how to fix common plumbing problems and issues helps you out to save time and money. As for more plumbing jobs in Brisbane feel free to call us at 0435 579 094 or write to us at info@IntagasServices.com.au for all your plumbing queries.
- Domestic & commercial gas hot water system
Installation, Service, Maintenance & Repair
- Gas hot water system check up available
Recommended before the winter demand
- Gas appliance installations & repair
Cooktops, Upright cookers, Ovens, BBQs, Heaters
- Gas leaks—fast response
Testing & repairs
- Gas conversions
Natural & LPG
- Gas lines
New installations or upgrade of existing lines
- Gas compliance certificates & plates
- Pre-winter service for portable room heaters
Pick up & drop off service available. Conditions Apply — no parts included
- Temporary gas HWS available for hire
Conditions Apply—must use current location of existing system
- Domestic plumbing installation & repair
Toilets, Taps/Mixers, Shower heads
- Electric hot water system installation & removal
New laws apply
- Electric hot water system check up available
To check if your hot water system meets current Australian standards
- New cold/hot water line installation
- Upgrade of old existing water lines
Air Conditioning Services
- Installation of split system air conditioners
Up to 18kw
- Basic clean service available
Local Suburbs Serviced:
Bowen Hills, Brisbane, East Brisbane, Fortitude Valley, Herston, Highgate Hill, Kangaroo Point, Kelvin Grove, New Farm, Newstead, Paddington, Petrie Terrace, Red Hill, South Brisbane, Spring Hill, Teneriffe, West End, Woolloongabba, Acacia Ridge, Algester, Annerley, Archerfield, Burbank, Calamvale, Coopers Plains, Darra, Doolandella, Drewvale, Durack, Dutton Park, Eight Mile Plains, Ellen Grove, Fairfield, Forest Lake, Greenslopes, Heathwood, Holland Park, Holland Park West, Inala, Karawatha, Kuraby, Larapinta, Macgregor, Mackenzie, Mansfield, Moorooka, Mount Gravatt, Mount Gravatt East, Nathan, Norman Park, Pallara, Parkinson, Richlands, Robertson, Rochedale, Rocklea, Runcorn, Salisbury, Seventeen Mile Rocks, Sinnamon Park, Stretton, Sumner, Sunnybank, Sunnybank Hills, Tarragindi, Tennyson, Upper Mount Gravatt, Wacol, Willawong, Wishart, Yeerongpilly, Yeronga, Bahrs Scrub, Bannockburn, Beenleigh, Belivah, Berrinba, Bethania, Boronia Heights, Browns Plains, Buccan, Carbrook, Cedar Creek, Cedar Grove, Cedar Vale, Chambers Flat, Cornubia, Crestmead, Daisy Hill, Eagleby, Edens Landing, Forestdale, Greenbank, Heritage Park, Hillcrest, Holmview, Jimboomba, Kagaru, Kingston, Logan Central, Logan Reserve, Logan Village, Loganholme, Loganlea, Lyons, Marsden, Meadowbrook, Mount Warren Park, Mundoolun, Munruben, New Beith, North Maclean, Park Ridge South, Park Ridge, Priestdale, Regents Park, Rochedale South, Shailer Park, Slacks Creek, South Maclean, Springwood, Stockleigh, Tamborine, Tanah Merah, Underwood, Undullah, Veresdale Scrub, Veresdale, Waterford West, Waterford, Windaroo, Wolffdene, Woodhill, Woodridge, Yarrabilba, Redcliffe, Clontarf, Deception Bay, Kippa-Ring, Margate, Newport, Rothwell, Scarborough, Woody Point, Albany Creek, Arana Hills, Bray Park, Brendale, Eatons Hill, Everton Hills, Ferny Hills, Griffin, Kallangur, Lawnton, Mango Hill, Murrumba Downs, North Lakes, Petrie, Strathpine, Warner