15 Natural Gas Safety Tips for Your Home
Natural gas has made it possible for us to live and work in comfort during the cold winter months. It is easy to use, dependable and efficient. But it’s also invisible and highly flammable. Since we can’t see the gas, it’s better to take precautions for keeping your home safe. Follow these 15 natural gas safety tips for your home from the experts here at Intagas Services.
- Setting the thermostat too high in summer while you are away on vacation can create excess humidity which can damage walls and cause mildew. So, when you are not home in the warmer months don’t set the thermostat too high.
- You can set the temperature for your instantaneous water heater below 55°C to prevent burns – great for very young or very old skin. If you have a tank for hot water storage, by Australian law it must be set to at least 60°C to prevent bacteria growth. If there is no proper temperature setting mentioned on your water tank, measure the temperature by using either a meat or candy thermometer.
- Contact a certified and trusted natural gas contractor like Intagas Services near you to examine your gas appliances for leaks at least once a year.
- One of the easiest and quickest things you can do to prevent a fire in your clothes dryer is to clear the lint trap every time you do the laundry. Also don’t forget to clean the exhaust duct, vent and hood cover every couple of months.
- Do not be tempted to use natural gas stoves for heating your home; also leaving gas stoves on when not in use whether it’s natural or lp even if it is for just a couple of minutes . In both cases, it can increase the carbon monoxide build up in the house to a dangerous level.
- Check the flame’s color on your gas stove. If it’s a blue color, you are good to go, but if it’s either yellow or orange then it’s an indication that some cleaning and maintenance work needs to be done.
- Clean your gas appliances on a regular basis, especially the ones used for cooking purposes. There will always be some spills and grime on these appliances.
- If there is no pilot light on your oven or other gas appliance and you need to light it manually, light the match first, then place it on or near the burner and finally turn on the gas.
- Unlike natural gas that burns blue, gas logs are artificially made to burn yellow or orange to imitate burning wood logs. Ensure that there is some opening in the fireplace for proper air circulation.
- To keep the hot air/heat flow unobstructed, make sure that heating vents are not obstructed by furniture, plants, or rugs.
- Avoid hanging any clothing or other items on the exposed utility pipes in the basement.
- Do not place any kind of flammable products near a natural gas heater. For example- aerosol cans, paint, solvents, household cleaners, pool chemicals, or any other item that has a flammable material clearly mentioned on its label. Clear the area near your hot water heater of any products that can easily ignite and likely to cause a fire.
- Inspect and clean your furnace filter on a monthly basis. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when you do it. Replace the filter on a quarterly basis to ensure the furnace performs at its optimum level.
- When using older appliances, you will notice that they are connected to the gas supply by brass fixtures which overtime may have rusted or have a break causing a gas leak. To prevent leaks, have them replaced with a more flexible natural gas connectors produced from corrugated metal tubes. This is a job strictly for the professionals and licensed technicians like Intagas Services, so find one near you.
- Planning a barbeque? Have it outside when the weather is pleasant. Smoke and carbon monoxide from the propane can rise to dangerous levels very quickly when used inside. So, never use gas grills indoors!
Bonus Tip: Keep a multipurpose fire extinguisher in the kitchen and near the furnace within easy reach at all times. Better safe than sorry!
If you have any concerns and queries about natural gas or LPG, feel free to contact us at 0435 579 094 or write to us at info@IntagasServices.com.au. We are always on hand to provide you with excellent and up to gas services in Brisbane and the south side.
- Domestic & commercial gas hot water system
Installation, Service, Maintenance & Repair
- Gas hot water system check up available
Recommended before the winter demand
- Gas appliance installations & repair
Cooktops, Upright cookers, Ovens, BBQs, Heaters
- Gas leaks—fast response
Testing & repairs
- Gas conversions
Natural & LPG
- Gas lines
New installations or upgrade of existing lines
- Gas compliance certificates & plates
- Pre-winter service for portable room heaters
Pick up & drop off service available. Conditions Apply — no parts included
- Temporary gas HWS available for hire
Conditions Apply—must use current location of existing system
- Domestic plumbing installation & repair
Toilets, Taps/Mixers, Shower heads
- Electric hot water system installation & removal
New laws apply
- Electric hot water system check up available
To check if your hot water system meets current Australian standards
- New cold/hot water line installation
- Upgrade of old existing water lines
Air Conditioning Services
- Installation of split system air conditioners
Up to 18kw
- Basic clean service available
Local Suburbs Serviced:
Bowen Hills, Brisbane, East Brisbane, Fortitude Valley, Herston, Highgate Hill, Kangaroo Point, Kelvin Grove, New Farm, Newstead, Paddington, Petrie Terrace, Red Hill, South Brisbane, Spring Hill, Teneriffe, West End, Woolloongabba, Acacia Ridge, Algester, Annerley, Archerfield, Burbank, Calamvale, Coopers Plains, Darra, Doolandella, Drewvale, Durack, Dutton Park, Eight Mile Plains, Ellen Grove, Fairfield, Forest Lake, Greenslopes, Heathwood, Holland Park, Holland Park West, Inala, Karawatha, Kuraby, Larapinta, Macgregor, Mackenzie, Mansfield, Moorooka, Mount Gravatt, Mount Gravatt East, Nathan, Norman Park, Pallara, Parkinson, Richlands, Robertson, Rochedale, Rocklea, Runcorn, Salisbury, Seventeen Mile Rocks, Sinnamon Park, Stretton, Sumner, Sunnybank, Sunnybank Hills, Tarragindi, Tennyson, Upper Mount Gravatt, Wacol, Willawong, Wishart, Yeerongpilly, Yeronga, Bahrs Scrub, Bannockburn, Beenleigh, Belivah, Berrinba, Bethania, Boronia Heights, Browns Plains, Buccan, Carbrook, Cedar Creek, Cedar Grove, Cedar Vale, Chambers Flat, Cornubia, Crestmead, Daisy Hill, Eagleby, Edens Landing, Forestdale, Greenbank, Heritage Park, Hillcrest, Holmview, Jimboomba, Kagaru, Kingston, Logan Central, Logan Reserve, Logan Village, Loganholme, Loganlea, Lyons, Marsden, Meadowbrook, Mount Warren Park, Mundoolun, Munruben, New Beith, North Maclean, Park Ridge South, Park Ridge, Priestdale, Regents Park, Rochedale South, Shailer Park, Slacks Creek, South Maclean, Springwood, Stockleigh, Tamborine, Tanah Merah, Underwood, Undullah, Veresdale Scrub, Veresdale, Waterford West, Waterford, Windaroo, Wolffdene, Woodhill, Woodridge, Yarrabilba, Redcliffe, Clontarf, Deception Bay, Kippa-Ring, Margate, Newport, Rothwell, Scarborough, Woody Point, Albany Creek, Arana Hills, Bray Park, Brendale, Eatons Hill, Everton Hills, Ferny Hills, Griffin, Kallangur, Lawnton, Mango Hill, Murrumba Downs, North Lakes, Petrie, Strathpine, Warner